Monday, March 7, 2011

Hidden hot spots in Mount Baldy

From Marina del Rey, you can enjoy the view of snowy mountains in winter.
To get to the San Gabriel Mountains, it actually takes less than 2 hours from here.




I went to one of the mountains, Mt Baldy, to do some snowboarding at a place that I had never gone before. 
Mt Baldy Ski Resort was totally different from any other ski resort in California (includes Mammoth, Big Bear or Mt High).  This place is not for beginners. There is a real excitement here where the nature meets a hardcore snow wonderland.

8600 Mt Baldy Road, Lytle Creek CA 92358
(909)982-0800






There are only 3 lodges here (The Buckhorn LodgeSnow Crest Lodge, and Mt Baldy Lodge) and no hotels or condos. This time I chose to stay at the Mt Baldy Lodge for 2 nights.
I stayed in Cabin 6. It has 3 beds in 2 rooms. 



Everything in the room was done in a country mountain style and so cute!










My favorite was this patio and garden.  It was so totally private and I could enjoy the gorgeous view of stars at night.
 On their property there is a beach volleyball court, Basketball hoops and a pool (summer time only).  There are even two places to play horseshoes.
6777 Mt Baldy Rd
Mt Baldy, CA 91759
(909)982-1115

I didn't expect any good food while in the mountains, but the restaurant at the lodge serves great food and the service is excellent. I stuffed myself with yummy fried shrimps and felt very relaxed.




In front of the hotel is the Visitor Center. If you want to do snow play or hiking at the mountain, you will need an "Adventure Pass" to park your car. You can purchase here or online before. Also they sell original souvenirs and this is the only one gift store at the mountain.








 6776 Mt Baldy RdMt BaldyCA91759







           (909) 982-2829







 

Mt Baldy was a vacation spot by Tongva natives. This Center has replicas of their camping and gave you the feel that you are a part of it.

For breakfast, I had to try the legendary restaurant at "Buckhorn Lodge". It was a nice choice and I enjoyed my french toast and eggs.
"The Buckhorn Restaurant and Lodge"
6870 Mt Baldy Rd
Mt Baldy, CA 91759
(909)982-1107



Mt Baldy has many beautiful streams of the San Gabriel River and there is plenty of spring water in March.  There is a lot to do here if you enjoy the mountainside without skis.
Even though it was only 3 days with a short drive, I felt like a Mt Baldy trip was such a big adventure.