Monday, March 21, 2011

Hidden hot spots in Joshua Tree

There is a mecca for Angelenos nearby.

74485 National Park Drive
Twentynine Palms, CA 92277
(760)367-5500

The name Joshua tree was given by Mormon settlers. You can see Joshua (Biblical story) try to reach the sky in prayer.



I stayed at the legendary "Joshua Tree Inn" for a night.


61259 Twentynine Palms Highway
Joshua Tree, CA 92252
(760)366-1188



The rock star Gram Parson used to love this hotel and spent the last days of his life in room 8.













I was in room 7 and on my first day I heard a live band playing nearby, but I didn't see them...

Room 8 could be a little haunted, but the hotel is beautiful and I understand why all the musicians love it here.




The night that I was at the hotel was the "SuperMoon".


The moon arrived at its closest point to the Earth on the evening of March 19, 2011. I prayed for Japan. It was so beautiful to see.



The town of Joshua Tree is very hippie and I really like it.

You may find a beautiful vintage dress and shoes.



For dinner I had a delicious coconut korma at the local Indian restaurant.



"Sam's Pizza and Indian Food"
61380 Twentynine Palms Highway Ste 13
Joshua Tree, CA 92252
(760)366-9511











 During my stay at the Joshua Tree Inn, I went to the national park twice.

It was my very first time to visit Joshua Tree National Park, however this park is easy to look around. Most of famous rocks and monuments are right by the parking(includes bathroom), and they have signs which explain what you can see from there.

This park is very popular for rockclimbing. Without real gear, I still enjoyed walking around on the thousands of big rocks.
























My favorite place was "Hidden Valley" where you can meet "Face Rock".  




Ryan Ranch had a dramatic history. The Ryan family built this 3 room ranch house in 1900, but it was burnt by vandals in 1978.





To see "Arch Rock" was a little bit of a challenge because it is kind of hidden by the other big rocks.


After climbing one of the rocks, I found these gorgeous blue flowers "Canterbury Bells" which are native of Joshua Tree.

As the day passed, the view was looking like an ocean with "Whale Rock".





There was an extremely strong wind in the morning and the day started cold however I found a warm spot by "Skull Rock".
You can enjoy many rock arts made by mother nature.





On the way back home passed by "Cottonwood" and found this flower carpet.
Joshua Tree National Park is in season now in March.